Monday, May 26, 2008

SFG: 1 Month Later

Cam and I officially began our Square Foot Garden about a month ago. While our first SFG box is flourishing, the other boxes in the backyard are taking a little longer to catch up.



I think this box (above picture, box #1 ) is doing so well because of the type of vegetables we chose to grow. We've had a very long and chilly spring season, and this may have caused the vegetables in the other boxes to grow very slowly.


But now it's the end of May, and the weather is starting to warm up. In the last week, it's been incredibly hot and humid. Of all the veggies, I think it's helping the tomatoes grow two times as fast.


In the above picture, one of the tomato plants in box 1. The beautiful yellow flowers mean that this plant is on its way to having beautiful cherry tomatoes! I've been doing the Square Foot Gardening Method of Pruning (I'll write more about this method in a later post). But basically, I've been cutting off any side shoots and suckers that are not part of the main stem. I may have been doing this wrong in the beginning of the process; think I cut off the leaves instead of the shoots.

I must have done something right because a few of our tomato plants are bearing tomatoes!



No comments: