Sunday, May 25, 2008

My SFG Garden Beginnings (Back Yard)


In April of this year, my boyfriend, Cam, and I decided to start a square foot garden together. I had just gotten laid off from my publishing job (The economy, structural changes, etc.), and I was about to start freelancing writing and editing full-time. I was coming over to Cam's house more often, and it seemed to be the perfect time.

We had talked about starting a square foot garden in the winter. We're both into eating more organic foods and enjoying what God has blessed us with. (We're Christians, by the way). A SFG seemed to be a perfect fit for us. Cam lives in a subdivision, so we don't have acres of land to work with. A SFG was the most convenient in terms of space.

So in the middle of April, Cam went to Lowe's and purchased untreated wood boards to build the square foot garden boxes. He built three in total. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photographs while he was building it, but here's a photo of me standing in front of one of them. (This was at the beginning stages of our garden. Only one SFG box was in use at this time.)



After Cam finished building the boxes, he and I went to Lowe's and Home Depot to buy small plants and seeds. We wanted a vegetable garden, and it was definitely a challenge to find a variety of vegetables. It seemed that all the lawn and garden stores had rows and rows of tomatoes, but not much else. But eventually we were able to get the variety we wanted.



We started with concord gapes and a few tomato plants. Then we moved onto lettuce, carrots, onions, bell peppers, oregano, zucchini, watermelon, lettuce.








3 comments:

Alicia said...

Wow, this was very interesting. I had never heard of square foot gardening. I went to google and read more about it and I'm going to explain it to my dad. He's tried for years in his backyard to grow tomatoes, jalapenos, watermelons and green peppers but the dirt is just not good dirt. I think this would work for him. Keep posting the pics on how this goes.

Barbee' said...

Hi, I came over from Blotanical to read awhile. Isn't it amazing how much food can be produced by the square foot gardening method.

I think I have read your whole blog and now am down to here at the beginning. You have a very interesting blog and the photos are extra good.

I enjoyed learning about your parents and their garden, too.

DP Nguyen said...

Barbee,

Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you've enjoyed it. It's my first year, so it's been a very fun ride!