Monday, May 26, 2008

Ek! Mushrooms

It's a rainy and icky day in Nashville. Every time I want to go out and check on my vegetables, the rain pours. But I was able to go to the front vegetable bed this morning. I was shocked to find disgusting mushrooms growing near my lettuce heads. It is closest to the smallest lettuce head. I'm thinking I'll need to pull out the mushrooms when it stops raining.





I planted onions a few weeks ago in the front vegetable bed. About a week after that, I noticed small mushrooms (similar to the above) were beginning to form. I pulled them out and threw them into the grass. But this is the first large patch of mushrooms I've seen. Hopefully this will be the last.

I wonder if these mushrooms will make my lettuce heads poisonous to eat. Aren't most mushrooms dangerous to eat?

4 comments:

tina said...

Welcome to blogging and I look forward to seeing how SFG does for you. Gail from Clay and Limestone sent me over.

butterflynymph said...

I'm not sure if the mushrooms would make the plants by them poisonous...glad I haven't found any mushrooms growing this year - my 2 year old would totally try to eat them...
~plantgirl of
http://squarefootgardenblog.com

Frances, said...

Gail from Clay and Limestone has a link to your blog in today's post. Welcome to the another TN blogger. I am in Athens, a small town between Knoxville and Chattanooga. Your mushrooms look like something that came from the mulch. Not a worry, you could just scratch it up a bit and the sun will dry it up. It will feed the soil.

Frances at Faire Garden

Dave said...

Welcome to TN garden blogging! I came via Gail's link as well. Your garden looks like it should do great! We've got the same mushrooms in some of our mulch. They shouldn't do any harm. They actually help break the mulch down to feed the soil underneath.