I have officially started to garden again in the garden. I'm getting a late start, mostly because I was unsure of when to start. We've had several cold spells in the Nashville area, lots of rain, and a tornado that came through Murfreesboro (a small town an hour away from Nashville).
It's almost May, so summer is practically here, but I started to plant seeds and transplant seedlings into the garden. I'm still using the square foot boxes, but I'm letting them "go wild" this year--no wooden bars to separate smaller boxes.
We have some herbs and fruit that came back this year, and I'll be blogging about those later this week. I am going to try to blog at least once a week, but depending on my work schedule, I may not be able to blog as much as I did last year. Blogging does take a lot of time, so I'll do my best.
This spring/summer season, I've growing the following in my garden:
* Black from Tula tomatoes (Heirloom)
* Cherry/Roma tomatoes
* Mr. Stripey (Heirloom)
* Red cabbage
* Crookneck Squash
* Sweet Basil
If Cam and I have more time this summer, we're going to build either raise beds or more square foot boxes to grow even more vegetables.
I know it's getting a little late, but I haven't started any lettuce or spring mixes yet. I hope to be able to do that soon. (Hopefully before the heat comes).
I am extremely excited about all the different varieties of vegetables and mints I've started.
Cutworms are the biggest pests that we've faced in the garden this year. They've cut all of the bush beans seedlings that we planted in the garden, three heirloom tomato plants, and three of the peas that we're attempting to grow.
We didn't have any luck growing peas last year because we planted them so late in the season; it was already June when we tried. But with these cutworms, I am worried they're not going to survive this year either. *sigh*
These are the only pea plants that are remaining:
I think we'll try bush beans again later this summer. To combat these evil villains, we've cut plastic straws into 2-3" sections and wrapped them around the stems. Hopefully, this will work and we can save our remaining plants.
We got the idea of plastic straws after reading this gardening forum:
If you are interested, there are photos of the process on the forum.
Info on cutworms can be found here: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/M1225.html
I've found the U of Minnesota's Website extremely helpful.
Work in Progress & Recent Finishes
3 days ago